Republican supporters claim a photo voter ID requirement is needed to stop voter fraud. However, as the Supreme Court noted, voter impersonation at the polls is the only type of fraud a photo ID could prevent, but there has never been a documented case of voter impersonation in Missouri. Democrats contend the true purpose is to disenfranchise racial minorities and certain other demographic groups that are most likely to lack a government-issued photo ID and, not coincidentally, tend to support Democrats.
The House approved the measure, House Bill 1600, on a voice vote. A second, recorded vote is required to send the bill to the Senate. If HB 1600 clears both chambers and is signed into law, another lawsuit challenging the bill as unconstitutional is expected.
Jackson County is one of the very few counties in Missouri with dedicated year-round staff supporting the Democratic Party. The Executive Director position has been a model for other counties and regions for over a decade and, without it, challenges in fundraising, candidate recruitment, institutional memory, communication and more would mount and make our main objective more difficult: electing more Democrats.
Please consider attending on March 5, 6pm at Travois (310 W 19th Terr. KCMO) or donating a little each month through the Executive Director's Circle HERE. RSVP for the event HERE or just come on out March 5.
"Show Me Showdown" Candidate Forum March 8
Missouri has a long history as a bellwether state and this event will show candidates why Missouri shouldn’t be forgotten or taken for granted. We’re proud of Missouri’s diversity, and believe that it is a strength for Democrats in the state. From Missouri’s great farming communities to its grand cities, Missouri is truly representative of America. Having an event of this magnitude gives voters and candidates a chance to connect, build excitement, and set up campaign infrastructure before we come together to ultimately defeat Donald Trump.
This event is being hosted and coordinated by the Missouri Democratic Party. CLICK HERE for more details and learn how you can attend.
Upcoming Meetings and Important Dates:
- Super Tuesday Watch Party: All Democrats welcome to watch as returns come in from Super Tuesday primary states. Hosted by Heartland Alliance for Progress, Phoenix Research Group and Young Freedom. March 3, 7-10pm at Ollie's Local (3044 Gillham Rd KCMO).
- 12th Annual Wiggins Fund Event: March 5, 6:00pm at Travois (310 W 19th Terrace KCMO). Suggested donation $25.
- Galloway for Governor Event: See flyer below. Hosted by Susie and David Gale, Karla Williams and the Lee's Summit Democrats. Thursday March 12, 5:30-7:00pm.
- Grain Valley Democrats: Social, dinner and fundraiser Wednesday March 18th, 6:00-8:00pm. Acquaint Gathering, 512 Capelle St. Grain Valley (SW of the post office). Suggested $10 donation. Dinner provided. Special guest is Congressman Emanuel Cleaver. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Judy Morgan Town Hall meeting: Thursday, March 26th, 6:00-8:00pm. Agenda items include "Dirty Missouri" and Medicaid expansion plans, anti-LGBT bills in the state legislature, voter ID, prescription drug monitoring and more. All Souls Unitarian Church, 4501 Walnut St. KCMO 64111.
- Candidate Filing Closes: March 31, 5pm
- Delegate Selection: "Mass meetings" held in your local ward or township. April 6. Click here to learn about the rules and process. Locations will be made public in the coming weeks.
- Congressional Convention: April 30. Time and location TBD.
- MDP Second Quarter Meeting: May 9, Jefferson City
- The 33rd Annual Truman Gala: June 6, Independence MO
- Missouri Democrats State Convention: June 20, Kansas City
The JCDC does not endorse candidates for President when there is no incumbent. We will provide information about any campaign's local activity as we receive it.
Bernie 2020 Office Opens in Kansas City
With the Missouri primary one week away, you can visit the official Kansas City office for the Sanders campaign at 3630 Main St. KCMO 64111. Volunteers are needed for canvassing and phone banking shifts. Office will be open from 9am to 9pm beginning March 3.
Contact Tessa at KC4Bernie@gmail.com or 816-599-4900 with questions.
Coming Out for Warren
Join us at the KCMO Hamburger Mary's for one of our final Warren Volunteer Events!
Monday March 9th to Get Out the Vote for Elizabeth!
We will be joined by special guests, Rep. Rui Xu and Mayor Mike Kelly from Kansas! SIGN UP HERE.
Missouri for Biden Organizing Event in St. Joseph
Join us in St. Joseph at our Missouri for Biden Organizing Event to show your support for Joe! We’ll be talking to voters about our campaign and what’s at stake in this election.
All are welcome to attend and meet other Team Joe members. Make sure to bring a friend or two! SIGN UP HERE.