The Difference in Strategy
As you are seeing ads on TV, getting mail and even hearing from volunteers, you will quickly notice a stark difference in the content of Democratic candidates compared to Republicans. One side is talking about protecting healthcare, defending seniors, supporting public education, rebuilding roads, and raising wages. The other side is talking about refugees 1000 miles away from the boarder and imaginary tax increases while rallying around President Trump. One side is running on popular policies; one is desperately trying to turnout their base with dog-whistle terms and images.
Which approach will work?
That could be up to you in this final week of the campaign season. As you talk to neighbors and friends about voting November 6, it's easy to say that supporting Democratic candidates means you are for accountability in government, guaranteed coverage for people with pre-existing conditions, and raising wages for the working families of our state. Don't fall for the same old Republican scare tactics. Finish the job we started in August next Tuesday!
Candidate Profile: Hillary Shields, State Senate District 8
Perhaps the hardest working candidate of the year, Hillary Shields is in a re-mach of last year's special election which was decided by less than 2,000 votes. Shields and her team have knocked on thousands of doors, made countless calls, and are primed to flip this battleground district in eastern Jackson County. Focusing on quality public education, repairing infrastructure and protecting seniors, Hillary will represent us all well in Jefferson City and stop the radical Republican agenda that is dragging Missouri into economic turmoil. We are very proud of the work she has already done and look forward to a big victory next Tuesday.
GOTV Canvassing Beginning at the Coordinated Campaign Offices
Every contact counts so get out there and do your part! Coordinated campaign offices are staffed at 3600 Broadway in Kansas City, 9615 E 63rd St. in Raytown, 221 W Lexington in Independence, and 519 SE Melody Lane in Lee's Summit. Every bit helps!
Don't Miss Out on the 10th Annual Chili Dinner Friday
Come out and fuel up for the final weekend of GOTV. All you can eat and drink for a suggested donation of $15. We will also hear comments from State Auditor Nicole Galloway, County Executive Frank White and other area candidates that support our partners in labor.
Reserve your tickets here. We'll see you November 2 at 5:30, Plumbers Local 8 (5950 Manchester Trafficway KCMO).
Thank you to our sponsors: TJP Media and Creative, Sprinkler Fitters Local 314, Operating Engineers Local 101, Greater Kansas City Buildings and Trades Council, IBEW local 53, Boilermakers Local 83, Pipefitters Local 533, Heat and Frost Insulators #27, Katheryn Shields for KC and Ingrid Burnett for Missouri.
Upcoming Club Meetings and Events:
- Early/Absentee Voting: Satellite locations for absentee voting are now open in Kansas City. If Center High School or Brush Creek Community Center are better locations for you than the Kansas City Election Board offices in Union Station, these two options are available from now til November 5. Click here to confirm hours of operation: https://www.kceb.org/useruploads/11_6_18/absentee_satelite.F.pdf
- Volunteer to Provide Rides on Election Day: If you are available to provide a ride to the polls for local voters on election day OR if you need a ride yourself, call the JCDC office and provide your information. Nobody who wants to vote should be denied because of this small hurdle! Call Geoff at 816-833-5232.
- Organizing for America: GOTV training/organizing meeting for the KC region. Johnson County Library - Antioch (8700 Shawnee Mission Parkway, Merriam KS). Friday, November 2nd, 5pm. RSVP on Facebook here.
- Countdown to Victory Fundraiser for Congressman Cleaver: Join Rep. Cleaver and friends for a fundraising reception Tuesday, October 30 from 5:00-7:00pm at Grand Street Cafe (in the Plaza West Room) 4740 Grand Ave. KCMO. See flyer below.
- 10th Annual Chili Dinner: Benefiting the JCDC Staff Fund. Friday November 2nd 5:30-7:30pm. Plumbers and Gasfitters Local 8 (5950 Manchester Trafficway KCMO). Register online HERE.