We had a great turnout last week from supporters across the region helping to keep full time staff here in Jackson County working for Democrats. A special thank you to our sponsors: Carpenters District Council of St. Louis and Kansas City, Jeremy and Stephanie LaFaver, Cleaver for Congress, Travois and Powerful Performance Solutions. If you couldn't make it but would still like to help, please consider donating a little each month through the Executive Director's Circle HERE.
Press Release from the Kansas City Election Board
In an effort to keep things running as smoothly as possible on March 10th Presidential Preference Primary, the KCEB has some things everyone should know when you vote next Tuesday. READ IT HERE. If you live in Jackson County outside of Kansas City, CLICK HERE to get more information.
Jackson County's Own Becomes Senate Leader
(via the Missouri Times)
Democratic state Sen. John Rizzo is the newest minority floor leader following the resignation of Sen. Gina Walsh.
Walsh, who is finishing her final year as the senator for SD 13 due to term limits, made the announcement from the Senate floor Tuesday afternoon. She said she plans to continue out her term as a senator but wished to transfer the leadership position to Rizzo while she was still in office.
“Senator Walsh has been an unwavering fighter for working families, public schools, and vulnerable Missourians throughout her tenure in the legislature, and it is an honor to continue these efforts and more as Democratic Leader,” Rizzo, from SD 11, said in a statement.
Walsh has been a stalwart advocate for labor issues while serving in the General Assembly. She recently led a marathon filibuster against a bill that would have changed how asbestos claims are handled in Missouri.
Rizzo, who previously served as the assistant minority floor leader, was elected to the Jackson County seat in 2016. He also served in the House where he was the minority whip.
“Missouri families are tired of having a legislature that hands out favors to the special interests while everyday citizens get left behind,” Rizzo said. “Across the state, more Missourians are getting on board with Democratic efforts to make health care more affordable, government more accountable, and an economy that works for everyone. The Democratic Caucus is fighting for commonsense values in the Senate, and we look forward to achieving more victories for Missouri families.”
Upcoming Meetings and Important Dates:
- Galloway for Governor Event: See flyer below. Hosted by Susie and David Gale, Karla Williams and the Lee's Summit Democrats. Thursday March 12, 5:30-7:00pm.
- Grain Valley Democrats: Social, dinner and fundraiser Wednesday March 18th, 6:00-8:00pm. Acquaint Gathering, 512 Capelle St. Grain Valley (SW of the post office). Suggested $10 donation. Dinner provided. Special guest is Congressman Emanuel Cleaver. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rep. Judy Morgan Town Hall meeting: Thursday, March 26th, 6:00-8:00pm. Agenda items include "Dirty Missouri" and Medicaid expansion plans, anti-LGBT bills in the state legislature, voter ID, prescription drug monitoring and more. All Souls Unitarian Church, 4501 Walnut St. KCMO 64111.
- Rep. Greg Razer Town Hall Meeting: Saturday March 21, 10:30-11:30am at Second Presbyterian Church (318 E 55th St KCMO).
- Candidate Filing Closes: March 31, 5pm
- Delegate Selection: "Mass meetings" held in your local ward or township. April 6. Click here to learn about the rules and process. Locations will be made public in the coming weeks.
- Congressional Convention: April 30. Time and location TBD.
- MDP Second Quarter Meeting: May 9, Jefferson City
- The 33rd Annual Truman Gala: June 6, Independence MO
- Missouri Democrats State Convention: June 20, Kansas City
Social, dinner and fundraiser
Wednesday March 18th, 6:00-8:00pm.
Acquaint Gathering, 512 Capelle St. Grain Valley (SW of the post office).
Suggested $10 donation. Dinner provided. Special guest is Congressman Emanuel Cleaver. RSVP to email@example.com
(All funds solicited in connection with this event are by the Grain Valley Democrats and not by Congressman Cleaver or Cleaver for Congress.)
The JCDC does not endorse candidates for President when there is no incumbent. We will provide information about any campaign's local activity as we receive it.
Bernie 2020 Office Open in Kansas City
With the Missouri primary tomorrow, every contact counts. Volunteers are needed for canvassing and phone banking shifts.
Contact Tessa at KC4Bernie@gmail.com or 816-599-4900 with questions.
3630 Main St.
Missouri for Biden Has Space in South KC
Phone banking and canvassing opportunities available through Tuesday night.
IBEW Local 124
301 E 103rd St. KCMO 64114
Contact 708-267-0415 or firstname.lastname@example.org to see how you can help.
Some merchandise available so grab it while it's here!